Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Journal #3

Journal Response #3
What is so important about the reaction of Homer’s mother to the rocket launch? Why do you think she reacted as she did?



The novel October Sky is about boys making rockets and launching them. Their first attempt at launch their rocket did not go over well. They accidentally blew up the Hickman's fence. Sonny's moms reaction to the accident was surprising. She was not mad, but she was very understanding. I think she was more worried about the safety of the boys than the safety of her house and fence. All she said was " I thought I told you not to blow your self up". I think she didn't want to yell at the boys because she thought they might think she was not supporting them and their dreams. Sonny's mom I think always was the most encouraging one to her son dream, and she didn't want that to change. I also found it good that Sonny's mother stood up for Sonny's when his dad was yelling at him. I think after the rocket explosion it was important that Sonny's mom was strict and that she still believed in her son.

No comments: